Michaella

Michaella

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

T-Shirt DIY

So I have done a lot of t-shirt diys for costumes for school
and Halloween. It all started with my taco bell costumes.
 
I'm on the left. Yeah all that was painted on.
I have also done
 
Pumpkins! Yes I made everyone of these.
Except the Tardis... I didn't do that lol
 
Alright this next picture needs so explaining.
Our school does homecoming dress up days where
they pick a five letter word that ends with 's'
and each day we can dress up as whatever we want as long as
its starts with that letter. So this year its was "ROCKS"
and this picture was taken on "C" day. I made my shirt which
you can't see because the sign I was holding and my friend
who is standing next to me. Our shirts say "Go Ceiling" because
we were ceiling fans. We are clever! And then we have in
order of left to right a Christmas tree, a constellation shirt
and then finally The catcher in the rye. I know we are awesome.


As you can see I have lots of experience with painting things on shirts.
So I'll show you how its done.
 
I am in need of a 4th of July Shirt. So I saw this picture and I got
some ideas.
 
 
So after making a run to the store to get shirts and bleach I came
home and threw the shirts in the wash so they could shrink a little
and I would have a good canvas to start on. While the shirts were in the
dryer I made my template so I could paint this on my shirts.
 
 
1. Print out the image you want to be on your shirt and trace it onto freezer paper. And it has to be freezer paper!!! (Freezer paper is like a hybrid of wax paper and parchment paper. So you write on the non-waxy side and then that allows you to iron the template to your shirt and not to the iron.)
 
2.After it is traced you cut out the shape that you want painted. The template I made was very complex as you can see but solid shapes and words are a good place to start. But make sure if you do words make sure to keep the middles of letters like As, Rs, Ds, etc. so that the holes in the letters are not filled in.
 
 
3. After your template is done you will iron it on and apply paint onto the shirt! Let it completely dry before you peel off the template! I never use fabric paint, I always use acrylic because that what I have. And it works really good and I'm able to wash all more shirts. And you can use your template multiple times just peel it off and iron it again!

 
 
I did some extra prepping for these shirts. I bought plain red shirts.
 
And I wanted to paint the eagle stencil blue but I wanted the
shirt to be red. What I did so that I could have both it I bleached
the middle. To do this I put bleach in a spray bottle and diluted
it with some water to that it didn't eat through the shirt but only
turned it white. I prepped each shirt with a lid  in the middle from
some tubs we had in the garage. That way the back didn't turn white
as well. And then I took the bleach to the shirts, you don't need that
much because eventually it will spread out.
 
 
This is what I turned out with they look kinda pink in this
picture but it definitely is white now. After I sprayed them I rinsed them
 and tossed them in the dryer so that the extra bleach was gone.
After they were dried I ironed on the stencil and painted on my eagle!
 
 
TADA!
 
I hope you try this out! Once you do it you can stop!
 

 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment