Michaella

Michaella

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Kool-Aid Hair

Summer is practically here and that means sun, surf and colorful hair. I did this all the time and would like to do it again but considering I'm graduating on Friday I don't feel like my mom would appreciate me putting color on my tips. But since I do have some experience with this subject I will share my knowledge with you so you don't end up stuck with a blue scalp or pink in the wrong place. I have had purplish red, green, and blue hair. I don't know if you can see but if you look around my neck (I'm the one on the right) you can see the blue hair. I always had my color underneath so that way when I put it up you could see it but for church and things it wasn't so out there.

But my sisters just recently did it and they did all their tips.

Okay to get started you want to get the Kool-Aid. DO NOT USE THE KOOL-AID FROM THE CANISTERS. The Kool-Aid that you get that you just scoop and add water to, HAS SUGAR. And the last thing you want is sticky hair. So when you are preparing to do this get the envelopes that are like .20. You only need one envelope and there are plenty of colors to choose from. But sometimes the colors will not always turn out how you want. I tried to dye my hair purple and it came out red... which actually does make sense because red and blue make purple. There really is nothing you can do to fix this just be flexible:) but that also has only happened to me once! After picking your color then the hard part comes next. I advise that you have someone you trust to help you.

Okay first boil two cups of water. Transfer the water to a cup or bowl that you are comfortable with putting your hair in. After take the kool-aid and mix it with the water, make sure it is completely dissolved. Let it cool for a couple minutes. Depending on what part of your hair you wan colored and if you have a person to help, find a position where you can get your hair in the kool-aid and wait from 5-20 minutes. I have left my hair for a range of time, I tend to leave mine in longer because I'm afraid the color won't be vibrant but even after just 5 minutes the color stays pretty well. After your hair has soaked take it out, rinse it and dry it! Viola!

But lets talk about how long it will stay. It will stay forever. Kool-Aid hair will fade and fade and fade and fade and fade but it will never truly disappear. After every time I've done it the only way to get rid of it was to dye it another color till eventually I had it professionally dyed over the color. I have a friend who did a big chunk of her hair red for a marathon in January and it is still vibrant today! So if you plan to do this and you are in school or on your child who is in school make sure you will be able to cut it off or dye it because most elementary/middle schools don't allow abstract colors.

There is a rumor though. The rumor is that if you take two cups of boiling water and put baking soda in it and soak your hair like when you put the Kool-Aid in that it will take out the color.

I haven't tried that yet but who knows it might work! Let me know how it goes!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment