Michaella

Michaella

Saturday, May 24, 2014

An Inventive Baker

 

We all know that baking is a science but most of them time the measurements aren't perfect.... or is that just me? I had this 'activity day' leader who would make us measure everything so precisely so know I hate measuring things and end up just throwing things onto the mix. But I haven't made anything gross yet so obviously it is working for me.

I was cleaning the kitchen today when I saw some very very ripe bananas sitting all lonely in the corner. You know what that means.... BANANA BREAD. I was going to make some banana zucchini bread but it turns out that the zucchini that I had shredded and frozen my mom threw away. I know bummer.


If you can't tell... I love zucchini




But I found this recipe on Food Network for plain old banana bread.

Ingredients
1 cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
3 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
 
And because I didn't want to make a huge mess and lots of bowls (I know I'm lazy) but I just mixed up all the wet ingredients and then the dry. But I did make too tweaks. I added a cup of grated carrot and used brown sugar instead of white. But no matter what you do to a banana bread the banana flavor will always overpower everything.
 
 
 
I was still in the mood for baking on this hot summer day (although I regret turning on the oven I feel it was worth it) so I also made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. I found this recipe on Food.com
 
4 eggs
2c sugar
16oz pumpkin
1tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 vegetable oil
3c flour
2tsp baking soda
2tsp baking powder
2tsp cinnamon
1tsp salt
12oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

I was making this one and I had 15oz cans of pumpkin so I used one and a scoop of another. And then I saw the 1 1/4 of vegetable oil so I substituted that for 2 of the snack cups of apple sauce and a splash of olive oil. I also had the big Ghirardelli chocolate chips so I just threw in a couple of handfuls. The applesauce made the muffins a little chewier then they should have been but by the absence of the muffins they were still a favorite!


Tweaking recipes are always fun! If you have any tips comment down below!
Enjoy! Because we did!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment