Michaella

Michaella

Sunday, August 31, 2014

All moved in.

So I just moved from Hanford, California to Provo, Utah. For those you that don't know that's about 748 miles away and almost an 11 hour drive. I would know because I just made that drive on Wednesday evening. We left Hanford around 5ish and arrived in Provo around 5 or 6ish because of stops and traffic and such. I have moved to attend Brigham Young University which is a LDS endorsed church so when I got to Provo on Thursday morning I moved in and attended orientation at 8.

It's hard moving.

I am all settled now but I'll tell you all about my college experience so far... okay so that's only 4 days.. but still.

Okay so during orientation I decided I was going to skip some of the workshops that way I could go get some paper work done for my job and try to put away some of my stuff in my dorm. And I had a map on my phone therefore I thought I could find my way around. WRONG. I got so lost. I finally found the building that I had to turn in my paperwork after an hour (it should only had taken 10 minutes) and then I tried to find my way back to my dorms and by then it was super hot and my phone was down to 10%. My dad texted me asking me if I had been able to take a nap and clean up and by then I broke down in tears because I had no idea where I was (and I was running on a couple of hours of bad sleep) so my parents had to drive around the campus and come find me.

The next day was better during the day but I knew in the back of my mind this was the last day I was going to be able to see my parents. Throughout the day I would break down in tears. And then came the time when my parents took me around Provo to show me around before they left and I cried literally the whole time and then we came back to campus to look around when I saw my roommates and they told me that I needed to come fast so we could get to this party thing. I wanted to go so then I had to sad good bye and sobbed in front of my roommates and my parents left. First things first everyone cries when their parents leave. I don't care if you aren't close with them it's hard because everything familiar is gone. I cried. My roommate cried. Some random boy that we know he said he sobbed. So don't feel bad we are all in this together.


Now some things about BYU.
  1. BYU is also known as "The Y" because of the large Y on the mountain. The reason there is a Y on the mountain is because a long time ago when there was BYU and Brigham Young Academy (a church high school) the BYU President decided that they were going to put a large B-Y-U on the mountain. A brigade of men marched up the mountain with cement and limestone and they thought it would only take then 6 hours. After 6 hours they finished the Y and came down with the idea that they were going to do the B and the U another day but in the end they never did so know the Y is a big icon of BYU.
  2. All the buildings are named after Church Leaders and other important folks so the have super long names like The Spencer W. Kimball Tower, the Joseph F. Smith Building, the Harold B. Lee Library so everything is labeled by acronyms. SWKT, JFSB etc. and that's what everyone calls them. The SWKT (it sounds like swi-kit) or the HFAC (it sounds like Ach-Vac) so sometimes I don't know what to call them.
  3. Everyone here is so nice. People just randomly talk to you all the time.
  4. There are so many Mormons here that on Sundays we don't go to churches we are split up into groups called wards (I'm in the 109th ward) and we meet in classrooms. And students teach the classes.
  5. There are just so much Mormon-ess. NCMO's and Book Of Mormon jokes can be found all over the campus. And the other night they played the dating game with like a million people. The bachelorette was sitting on side of the curtain and the boys on the other side and she and all the boys that wanted to participate filled out a questionnaire. THERE WERE HUNDEREDS OF BOYS THAT PARTICIPATED. But when you put something different you had to leave the stage until it got down to like 10 and she asked individual questions and eliminated people. THE CRAZY THING IS THEY ACTUALLY HAD TO GO ON THE DATE. Am I the only one that found that really awkward? But the orientation people paid for the date so...? Still weird.
  6. Since everyone goes to church everything is closed on Sundays except for the cafeteria but it's open at 10am-5:30pm and on the first Sunday of the month (also known as fast Sunday because the church encourages you to skip 2 meals and pray and all the jazz) its open from 2:30-5:30. Awesome...
  7. BYU is like a small town. BYU campus has a bowling ally, a club called The Wall, a hair salon, a Creamery which is like a small grocery store and the BYU Store is like a Wal-mart. Which is great for me because I have no car.
  8. Everyone at BYU can sing. We have all been going to church where we sing all the time SO EVERYONE CAN SING.
  9. The cougarettes are freakin awesome. Click here to view BYU's awesome dance team.
  10. Last one for now Cosmo is the name of our mascot and he does flips and backflips off the stand so he is pretty legit.
That's all for now comment or share! Till next time :)

1 comment: