Michaella

Michaella

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Dramaturgy

Dramaturgy is a new occupation that has emerged from the theatre world.  A dramaturge is not defined clearly because it constantly redefining itself. But to put this into simpler terms the dramaturge works with the writer and the director to refine the script and show. A dramaturge can do new play dramaturgy which works with the playwright to bring out all the ideas and intent they have and to make sure that it makes sense and is historically accurate (if that applies). They can also work with the director, production team, and actors to make sure that the play is coherent and again historically accurate. The dramaturge can also work with the audience by putting extra information about the time era and general facts about the play and many of them do websites that allow audience members learn more about the show.

I'm talking about this because I think this is really cool occupation and not many people know about it. (Which really is a shame.) But its out there and you can study it in college and all that jazz. In class we are practicing new play dramaturgy where the dramaturge works with the playwright and so we all had to write plays and then from small groups we had to pick one. Mine was not chosen (its fine people like comedy more than dramas... lame,  I know.) But I'd still like to share it with you. But this is a sad play there isn't a happy ending its just life. Without further ado....


The Ones We Never Get To Love

By Michaella Scholz

Cast: Shelby – Young woman who has been recently married and just found out she lost her baby.

Max- Shelby’s husband who is very overprotective.

 

Shelby is sitting quietly alone. We can tell she is deep and thought. Max and Shelby are have been married almost a year and Shelby 21 weeks with child. Max comes home from work. Shelby does not look at Max.

Max

 Shelby?

Shelby

 In here.

Max

 Hey darling

Max kisses Shelby on the cheek to which there is no response.

Max

 Shelby? Are you okay?

Shelby

 I’m fine.

Max

Promise?

Shelby

 Sure.

Max

 Well what’s wrong then?

Shelby

 Nothing. Nothing is wrong.

Max

 Babe, I know you. Just tell me.

Shelby

 Max, please.

Max

I just want to help.

Max pauses and grabs Shelby’s hand

Max

 Please, let me help you. That’s what I’m here for.

Shelby

 It’s just so hard.

Staring off into the distance

 When I was a teenager I loved to be around babies. I loved to hold them and cuddle them and pretend they were mine. My biggest fear was not being able to have a baby. That thought would always be in the back of my mind. When we found out that we were pregnant I was so happy but I was also so scared that it could all be gone in an instant.

Max

 You’re almost there. We are going to have a baby!

Shelby

 Except I’m not.

Max

 Wait what are you talking about?

Shelby

 I miscarried. I miscarried. I had a baby inside me and now it’s gone. My fear came true.

Max: Shelby, I’m so sorry.

Shelby is quite and still not looking at Max.

 Max

 This isn’t our only chance. We can try it again.   

Shelby

 Except for the fact that I have “Uterine Wall Scarring”.

Max

 Babe, We can overcome that. 

Shelby

 You don’t understand.

Shelby finally looks at Max

Shelby

It makes it really hard for me to have children.

Max

 Hard is not impossible.

Shelby

 But I don’t know if I could do this again. I never got to see Marcus.

Max pauses. Processing the fact that he was going to have a son.

Max

We were going to have a boy?

Shelby

 Yeah I found out today.

Max

 I was going to have a son.

Shelby

 I’m sorry.

Max

 This isn’t your fault.

Shelby

 Yes it is.

Max

 Stop saying that. You had no control over this.

Shelby

 The one thing that I am supposed to be able to do, like every other woman I can’t. And I can’t do anything about it. And I’m so sorry. I know you wanted children and I can’t give you that. You have a job and you provide for me and all you wanted was a family to come home to and I can’t give you that. We are already married so I’m not going anywhere. But if you want to a get a divorce and find another woman who can give you a healthy and living son. I understand…

                              Max

Shelby. You’re my family.

Shelby

 I’m not enough.

Max

 You are.

Shelby is quite and nonresponsive Max grabs her hand

Max

 We are in this together

Shelby is still quite. Max turns her face so she is looking at him and Shelby begins to sob.

Max

Hush. Hush.

Shelby

What happens to him Max?

Max?

Max

 I don’t know.

Shelby

 I want my baby.

Max

I have to be enough.

I love you. And that has to be enough.

Shelby

I love you too.

Max

If we are able to have a baby, great. If not, it’s okay. I have a beautiful wife who I get to take care of for the rest of my days.

Shelby

And I have a great husband who acts like a child anyways.

Shelby begins to softly laugh and lets Max hold her. After a pause the phone rings. Max gets up to go get the phone.

Max

Hello?

Uhh… Mom! How are you?

Good, good.

No mom it’s okay you don’t need to come down for the baby.

Max’s mom keeps pestering him about coming to visit when that baby is born Max just keeps getting more frustrated.

No mom please!

Can we please talk about this later?

Mom there is no baby to see!

Max realizes that he had been quite rash and loud with the last line and looks over at Shelby who has now curled up onto the couch.

I’m sorry..  

I have to go.

     Max hangs up the phone and goes over to Shelby

Max

 Have you told your mom?

                                     Shelby shakes her head no

Max

 I can if…

Shelby again shakes her head no

Max

She needs to know.

Shelby

 I can’t.

Max

 Why not?

Shelby

Why couldn’t this have just worked out? Why did this happen to us?

Max

 I don’t know.

Shelby

 I just want to die.

Max

Don’t say that.

Shelby

 But it’s true

Max

What about me?

Shelby just stares at him shocked

Max

Aren’t I enough? You say you love me but then you want to die?

Max

 I’m here and it’s like that doesn’t even matter to you.

Shelby

 But Max… You do.

Max walks out. Shelby is all alone left in the silence. Max walks back in with a blanket that he drapes around Shelby.

Max

 I didn’t want to marry you so that I could have kids. I married you because I love you. And I love you more than I did when I asked you to marry me.

He is still your baby.

Shelby

 I know.

Max

 He loves you.

Shelby

 I love you. You would have made a great Father.

Max

 Shelby, I can’t imagine a better mother than you. You’re loving. You make everybody smile. And you, are so beautiful.

Shelby? When you said you couldn’t tell your mom about the miscarriage what did you mean about that?

Don’t shut me out now?

Shelby

 I was supposed to have another brother. His name was going to be Marcus. My mom already knows that if it was a boy I was going to name him Marcus. I don’t want her to have to live through that again. I remember her crying all the time trying to cope with the fact that her son was gone. She closed up and I felt like I barely saw her. I can’t do that to her again.

I know I have to tell her.  I just don’t know when to do it.

Max

 I can be there with you.

Shelby

 No.

Max

But…

Shelby

 Max I know you want to be there for me but this is something I need to do for myself.

And my mom.

Max

 Okay.

Shelby

 Thank you.

Max

Why didn’t you ever say anything?

Shelby

Um it’s not something we talked about. And I wouldn’t even know how to bring it up.

Max

Yeah I understand. But you know you can talk about anything with me.

Shelby

Yes I know.

                              Max

I’ll always be here for you.

Shelby

 Yes I know.

Max

 Always.

Shelby

I don’t know what I would do without you.

Max

You’d be fine. You are a strong woman with a big heart.

Shelby

But I don’t think I could do this alone.

Max

This?

Shelby

Just life in general.

Max

 Well good thing you don’t have to.

Shelby

 Neither of us do.

Max

For better or for worse.

Shelby

In sickness and in health.

Max

Till death do us part.

There is a knock at the door

Max

Do you want me to get that?

Shelby

No its okay. I’ve got it.

Shelby goes offstage.

Shelby: Mom?

Life happens and we find people who get us to keep going. And in the end it will all work out. I promise. Till next time folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment