Michaella

Michaella

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Some feelings about Christmas Cheer.

November 1st. This is that day that many people begin playing Christmas music. Christmas radio stations start cropping up. And I avoid them like the plague.
The day after Thanksgiving. The day where even more people decide it is now an appropriate time to constantly  listen to Christmas music. And I tend to avoid these people.
December 1st. Most of the population is now listening to Christmas music in a constant stream. I'm just now if at all starting to listen.
Christmas music is often the cause of my many headaches. The Christmas season can be all too stressful. But how come?

I mean I am just trying to get through the last 2 weeks of the semester.
And all of the sudden I feel the sudden need to buy presents to show my appreciation for the people that I love. Which wouldn't be a big issue if I had more than 13.24 in my bank account. I feel that I need to have fun, do nice things, play in the snow, and be festive. The need to buy and  put up a Christmas tree, stockings, and garland. To watch Rudolph and Frosty. Give change and deliver cookies. How could any of this be stressful?

Most of us love the Christmas season because everyone seems a little bit kinder. That Christmas cheer makes the person that just cut you off not so aggravating. The kid screaming in the grocery store a lot cuter with his little Santa hat. And that creepy guy at work just a little less creepy. The Christmas spirit does this and more.

I'm not sure why.

One might say the spirit of Jesus Christ. We begin to have our hearts warmed and are led to be more giving, understanding and overall just kinder. The thought of the Savior of the world being laid in the manger leads us to be better versions of ourselves. Because that after all, its the reason for the season. We are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. But this isn't the only holiday surrounding Jesus Christ. Easter celebrates Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice and yet the feelings aren't the same. The joy and kindness that surrounds the month of December are not reoccurring around April. But in both instances we are celebrating Jesus Christ. There are people who celebrate Jesus every single day and yet Christmas still has this  has this affect on them. Could the Christmas Spirit come from this celebration of the Savior? .

Christmas has become a more and more secular holiday. It celebrates Santa, Rudolph and a sense of magic that seems to waft from the North Pole. Families can celebrate Christmas without even mentioning Jesus once and yet somehow they are still motivated to be a kinder, softer, version of themselves. Maybe it is because of the threat of being on the naughty list. Without the mention of a religious figure, Christmas straightens the moral compass of many, even if just for the season.

Many would agree that this is the reason that they enjoy the season. Everything and everyone  is just a little warmer, kinder and there seems to be an endless supply of magic in the air. I mean, what other holiday could grow a Grinch's heart two times it's normal size?

I don't understand it. How could one day a year, December 25th, generate such a change of character in a population? Most would agree regardless of how, it is a great thing.

For a season we show that we are all capable of being a better person. December 26th, the tree is put away, stockings are folded and stuffed into a box, wrapping paper is recycled and we stick our happy kind selves away until the next Christmas season.

They should've made a second Grinch movie, The Grinch summers in Whoville, after Christmas was over did his heart shrink? Without the Christmas spirit did his heart become small again? Is the only way he could be kind to the Whos is by being surrounded by Christmas lights and carols? Because I see it every year. We are all warm and fuzzy and as if overnight we revert to our own ways. And we give ther bird to the guy that cut us off. Complain about the screaming child. And the creepy guy is just as creepy again.

I'll own up to it. I don't understand this Christmas Spirit Affect, that I also get caught up in. I think it is sad that we can be nice for really just a day someone decided to make up. To show that we are capable of being better human beings but only if there is a Christmas album playing in the background.

If only the world was like Christmas all the time. If we were all thoughtful and more giving regardless of how many days are left till Santa comes. Because in the end, he never actually comes down a chimney.

This post is quite cynical? No? But is it true? Or not? Don't get me wrong. I love Christmas but I also don't buy into it as the greatest day of the year nor the greatest holiday. But these are just my thoughts. Feel free to comment!
Till next time!
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment